This is demo store. No orders will be fulfilled.
J1708 to NMEA2000 converter
A gateway from YachtDevices for engines with a J1708 serial interface to a NMEA 2000 marine digital network. With it, you can see engine revolutions, temperature, working hours, fuel rate and other information on the screen of a chart plotter and other display devices on an NMEA 2000 network.
A gateway for engines with a J1708 serial interface to a NMEA 2000 marine digital network. With it, you can see engine revolutions, temperature, working hours, fuel rate and other information on the screen of a chart plotter and other display devices on an NMEA 2000 network.
The Gateway supports the two protocols that work over J1708: the standard J1587 used by many manufacturers and the proprietary Volvo Penta protocol used in engines with EDC I, for example KAD 44, KAD 300, TAMD 73..75; also compatible with EDC II (e.g. D12C-A MP).
A J1708 interface is used for connection of gauges, electronic displays, diagnostics equipment and other vehicle modules. This interface was very popular until 2005-2007, when it began to be quickly replaced by the J1939 protocol that is based, the same as NMEA 2000, on a faster CAN network.
If your engine supports both (J1708 and J1939) protocols, it may be better to choose another of our products, the Engine Gateway YDEG-04 designed for J1939, Volvo Penta EVC, MEFI4B, EGC, EDC III and EDC IV engines. The only known exceptions are Volvo Penta marine engines equipped with EDC II (Volvo Penta D12C-A MP for example), where the CAN bus is used for synchronization of engines revolutions and has no other data.
Reasons to buy:
- duplicate or replace broken instruments;
- in combination with a wifi-enabled chart plotter, you'll be able to monitor your engine from any cabin;
- in combination with our Wi-Fi Gateway, you'll be able to monitor your engines from PC, tablet or smartphone using a web browser;
- log engine and fuel usage by crew or renters if a recording device like Voyage Recorder is outfitted;
- record your engine data to apply for service remotely.
The Device is equipped with a female connector compatible with Volvo Penta EDC diagnostics connectors used on EDC I and EDC II engines. For owners of other engines, use the disassembled male connector supplied with the Gateway to make an adaptor cable for your engine yourself (see Picture 1). Please, see more details in the Manual.
|N2K PGN||N2K Parameter Name||J1587||KAD|
|127488||Engine speed (RPM)||yes||yes|
|Engine boost pressure||yes||yes|
|127489||Engine oil pressure||yes|
|Engine oil temperature||yes|
|Engine coolant temp||yes||yes|
|Total engine hours||yes||yes|
|Engine coolant pressure||yes|
|Engine discrete status (alarms)||yes|
|Percent engine load||yes||(no)|
|Percent engine torque||yes|
|Transm. oil pressure||yes|
|Transm. oil temperature||yes|
|Transmission status (alerts)||yes|
|127498||Rated engine speed||yes||yes|
|VIN (engine serial number)||yes||yes|
|Software ID (model number)||yes||yes|
|Battery case temperature|
The Gateway provides all engine data supported in NMEA 2000 except tilt/trim for J1587 engines and the most important data for KAD engines (see the table above). Reporting of two fuel tanks and two batteries is also supported. Please see technical details and PID numbers in the Manual. The data you can get on the chart plotter depends on the engine controller firmware and the number of installed sensors.
The Gateway is equipped with a slot for a MicroSD card, which can be used to configure its settings (loading a text file with the settings), retrieve the current configuration, update the Device firmware and record the data from the J1708 and NMEA 2000 interfaces for configuration and diagnosis of the Device.
- first (and the only!) device on the market with support of proprietary Volvo Penta KAD protocol;
- low cost installation, no extra cables required in most cases;
- easy configuration with a simple text file on MicroSD card;
- high-voltage galvanic isolation between J1708 and NMEA 2000 interfaces;
- J1708 data recording for diagnostics and configuration;
- one engine and transmission, 2 batteries and 2 fuel tanks may be reported by one Device.